Sunday, March 28, 2010

Jenny's baby shower cake



hello everyone, yesterday was my cake buddy jenny's baby shower and i had the privilege of making her baby shower cake. We decided to go for a 2 tiered (9" round and 6" round) orange and poppyseed cake with dark chocolate ganache covered in a thin layer of fondant. The design was inspired by my favourite cake decorator- faye cahill (http://www.fayecahill.com.au/Childrens/childrens.htm). If you haven't seen her website yet, i definitely recommend it, she has the most amazing cakes and classes also. I want my wedding cake from faye. Anyways here is my attempt (which is no were near as good as what you can buy from faye cahill), but i was happy with it and i know jenny loved it- which is most important.

I've decided the thing i love most about cake decorating is people's reactions towards the cake. I love making them also but it's the people who i share the cake with, which make me enjoy it the most.

In total the cake took me 7 hours to decorate (not including baking time).



The lesson i learnt from this cake were the polka dots. I always thought polka dots were randomly dotted onto a cake, however even randomness needs planning. To get the polka dot effect i marked where the dots would go with my quilting ruler (which marks out 1 inch squares). It was really important to do this to get the polka dots looking nice and in the right place.

I have 2 more cakes coming up which i am very excited about- one for my cousin's girlfriend which is a tiffany box cake and the other for my friend annaleise's 30th birthday. There is just so much happening in the land of cake decorating!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute baby shower cake! I really liked it’s designing as well as color scheme. At one of indoor party NYC venues we have attended a baby shower and it was truly fantastic. Had so much fun over there and really liked venue’s services too.

    ReplyDelete