Friday, May 28, 2010

planet cake lace piping and basics 104



hello everyone, well so much has happened in the world of cake decorating for me in the past few weeks. Firstly i attended planet cake's basics 104 which as always was the best day of my life! We made the 3 tiered cake with orchids and a twist. It was a great class since we learnt so much such as how to set up a centre pole and how to make sugar orchids. Here is my cake...


A few weeks later i was back at PC for specialty lace piping. This was by far the best course i have taken at PC. I learnt so much and definitely left, feeling like i could pipe on a wedding cake! So if anyone needs a wedding cake with piping, please let me know, cause i really really want to make one now!

We worked on many skills in this course such as transferring an image to a cake, brush embroidery, pressure piping, colouring and making royal icing, covering styrofoam (the cake is actually styro), making a monogram but above all the most valuable lesson was confidence in myself that i could do it!

Here are a few things i piped. Let me know which one is your favourite.



All in all i had such a great time, the last photo is of my class, everyone's cake was amazing! It was so much fun and i really love piping. I always thought piping is a skill which only practice can make prefect. I also think it separates good cake decorators from amazing cake decorators. There are so many tricks to avoid piping, but in the end piping makes for such a nice cake. I can definitely do with more practice but maybe in about 30 years (time for loads of practice but before the geriatric shakes come) i can be as good as anna maria (my PC teacher and piping goddess).

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Those cakes look so precious!
    That peacock you piped is v.v. impressive --> coming from someone who only draws stick figures, and I love the pattern on the bottom layer of your last cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine! It was so lovely to meet you :) You did an awesome job on your piping too!

    ReplyDelete