Sunday, October 11, 2009

Yi's (vietnamese for aunty's) chicken ragout



Hello again, sorry it's been a while between posts, uni has started up again. This recipe is a traditional vietnamese recipe with a big french influence. I am vietnamese and i decided it was time to learn some of the recipe's i grew up eating such as this ragout. It's quite a watery stew with chicken, carrot and potato mainly in a tomato based soup. I hope you try it out, it is very easy and delicious for dinner, make a bit extra and have it for lunch also cause it heats up perfectly. I think as with most stews, it will taste better the next day when the ingredients have really had a chance to mesh and marinate. Here's the recipe

Ingredients:

10 chicken drumsticks (cut into half, remove skin)

garlic (crushed)

2 onions (diced)

4 large potatoes (peeled and chopped)

2 carrots (peeled and chopped)

400ml coconut juice

4 tablespoons tomato paste

300mL chicken stock

salt and pepper

chicken stock powder (optional)

Method:

Marinate the chicken with garlic, chicken stock, salt, onion and pepper. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes-1 hour.

In a pan, fry half the garlic and 1 chopped onion until it smells nice. The add the marinated chicken to seal the chicken (it doesn’t have to be cooked yet, just sealed). Add the tomato paste and the coconut juice to the chicken and let it simmer for 5 minutes.

In another deep pot, fry the rest of the garlic and onion, then add the potatoes and carrots. Pan fry for about 5 minutes until the potatoes are sealed then add the chicken stock.

Add the juices from the chicken to the potato pot and let the potatoes cook for 20 minutes until they are soft.

Add the semi cooked chicken to the pot and simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes (check to see the chicken and potatoes are both cooked). Add salt and pepper to taste (shouldn’t really need much as the chicken stock is already salty and the coconut juice is already sweet). If there is not enough juices add more chicken stock. Simmer for another 10 minutes with the lid of, redo a flavour check may need more salt, pepper).

Serve with crispy toast or rice.

It's a very versatile recipe since you can add whatever vegetable you fancy, it's even nice with beans! I hope you try it and let me know what you think. xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine,

    I can't believe no one has posted on this recipe yet because it is excellent!

    A few years a go my grandma taught me how to make Vietnmaese Ragu but I lost the recipe and although I sort of remembered the method, I had no idea about the marinade and sauce.

    My brother has been asking for it for the past 2 or so years and then luckily a few days ago I chanced upon your blog and from a quick glance at the recipe I knew it was the real deal (though I did make a few changes from what I remembered all those years back).

    My brother and and dad loved it tonight and it's definitely going to be made a regular meal in our household. The chicken was so soft and tender, the 'soup' tomatoey but also subtly sweet, not sour and overbearing as you expect of tomatoes.

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete