Thursday, June 24, 2010

wine bottle cake



hello everyone, well there was sucess, we made a 3D wine bottle cake! before anything more is said, i must thank my trusty cousin and excellent helper genevieve, and my new found cake buddy sharon wee (from sharon wee creations http://www.sharonwee.com.au/) who is an amazing commercial cake decorator.

Here's the story of how the wine bottle cake almost gave me a heart attack...

The first difficult decision was how big the cake was going to be, in the end the cake stood 20 inches high and 5 inches wide. this was very difficult for transportation from earlwood to helensburgh!
I ended using 2x choc mud and 2x orange blossom cake to make the bulk of the bottle, the top was carved out of styro. Each cake was ganached individually then stacked with a centre pole and dowels then reganached to smooth any rough edges. Black fondant was used (which i officially hate, no more cakes in black or red, i know how many times have i said that?) which was then airbrushed black and glazed with tart glaze. Then the label was printed on edible paper with edible ink and the cap was made from red fondant also.

The cake was for my boyfriend mat's brother michael and dad- fred's birthdays. It was a hit, everyone loved the cake and i was pretty pleased with all the hard work gen and i had put in (9 hours in total from bake to finish).

Let me know what you think...



until next time... i'm making some cupcake this weekend, so lets see how they turn out!

xoxo

7 comments:

  1. Hey Christine! Congrats your cake looks amazing :) And I understand how stressful transportation must be :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cool! i was wondering how you made the bottle shiny =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi i am going to make a cake just like this one in two weeks! please tell me how you applied the fondant and glaze. i want this cake to look as good as yours! i love it! please help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if you can email me a visual tutorial on how to make this cake
    symonerudder@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instructions pleeeaaassseee Thanks. did you use a template or how this is awesome, my email is nlilia96@yahoo.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake is amazing. Thank you for sharing how you went about doing it... I'm in the process of doing one now, for a family member's 50th party for this weekend. Although, I have to say, this cake is soooo far out of my comfort zone, I need a passport! Please keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

    ReplyDelete